La Capitale General Insurance Inc. is pleased to partner with the Ordre des infirmières et infirmiers du Québec to offer a professional liability insurance program. The policy number is 16256071-006.
An insurer unlike any other
La Capitale General Insurance Inc. began its operations in 1976 as a subsidiary of La Capitale Financial Group Inc. Today, it is an industry leader in the field of damage insurance.
With our full line of automobile, home, personal property, legal access and commercial insurance coverages, we are fully equipped to adequately meet the insurance needs of the entire population of Quebec.
Our Mission: "To offer our clients insurance coverage adapted to their individual needs - under the seal of excellence - with flexible terms and conditions." Nothing less!
1 800 644-0607
8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday to Friday
Who are the insureds?
- The OIIQ
- OIIQ members in good standing who enrolled in the professional liability insurance program
- OIIQ members in good standing who enrolled in the professional liability insurance program, for losses resulting from professional services rendered while they were members in good standing and enrolled in the OIIQ's professional liability insurance program
- Former OIIQ members in good standing, for losses resulting from professional services rendered while they were members in good standing and enrolled in the OIIQ's professional liability insurance program
- Nurses who have received a special authorization from the OIIQ
- Persons subject to the Regulation respecting the professional activities which may be performed by persons other than nurses (l-8, r.2), namely:
- A nursing student
- A nursing extern
- A person eligible by equivalence
- A candidate for the profession of nursing
- Any of the above-mentioned persons' legal heirs or assigns
- A company owned by one or more insured members in good standing:
- When proceedings are brought with regard to the professional activities of the member(s)
- When proceedings are brought with regard to the professional activities of the company's employees in good standing, who enrolled in the professional liability program of the above-mentioned insured
What is your coverage?
Your professional liability:
Specifically, the payment of compensatory damages that you may be required to pay to third parties as a result of a claim received by you and filed with La Capitale during the insurance period and arising from fault, negligence, or a lack of care or skill in the performance of your insured professional activities.
We also assume your expenses for defence in litigation involving professional liability.
Your criminal defence fees:
Specifically, your defence costs for any action taken against you before a criminal court with respect to professional activities you performed, unless you plead or are found guilty by judgment of the highest court of final resort.
Your illegal practice defence fees:
Specifically, your defence costs for any action taken against you for illegal practice of another profession, unless you plead or are found guilty by judgment of the highest court of final resort.
Your coroner's inquest legal fees:
Specifically, your legal fees involving any appearance as an interested party in a coroner's inquest or a similar special inquest or commission arising from or in connection with the performance of your professional activities, not including cases in which you are called upon to act as an expert witness.
|Limit per loss||$1,000,000|
|Limit per insurance period||$3,000,000|
|Specialized nurse practitioners and specialized nurse practitioner candidates|
|Limit per loss||$5,000,000|
|Limit per insurance period||$5,000,000|
|Criminal defence fees||Up to $50,000 per insured|
|Illegal practice defence fees||Up to $25,000 per insured|
|Coroner's inquest legal fees||Up to $25,000 per insure d|
What activities are insured?
All professional services rendered or that should have been rendered, directly or indirectly, by the insured in connection with the nursing profession, as well as alternative practices recognized by the OIIQ. These services include teaching, conducting research, providing supervision, monitoring, providing opinions and counselling, as well as services rendered as part of a training program.
Insured activities are those performed in Canada, as well as activities that are additionally or occasionally performed outside the country and that may lead to legal action taken against you in Canada.
How to file a claim?
In the event of a loss, you must:
- Refrain from assuming any liability, incurring any expense or entering into any negotiation on your own initiative.
- Bring to the attention of your insurer any fact or circumstance that may give rise to a claim, as soon as you become aware of such matters
- Provide your insurer with support and cooperation during any enquiry and any legal proceedings that may eventually take place.
- Forward any notice of claim, as well as any judicial procedure that may be served on you, to:
La Capitale General Insurance Inc.
625 Jacques-Parizeau St
PO Box 17100
Quebec QC G1K 9E2
As soon as you become aware of any fact or circumstance, please contact your insurer toll free at:
1 866 906-2120
Multi-peril insurance: No question of doing without it!
For a few extra dollars, we offer you supplemental insurance coverage. If your profession is one that allows you to offer your services privately as a self-employed worker, you need coverage that's tailored to your practice.
Our multi-peril insurance covers:
- Office contents
- Computer hardware and software
- Important documents
- Loss of income during restoration work
- Personal injuries
- Embezzlement, disappearance or destruction of money
- Civil liability and tenant's insurance
You can select optional benefits as your company expands and changes. By doing so, you customize your multi-peril insurance based on your needs!
For further details, feel free to contact one of our agents, who will promptly analyze your situation in order to be able to offer you products that are tailored to your realities.
The purpose of this site is to present to you the main features of your professional liability insurance program. The insurance contract contains a number of restrictions. Only the contract may be used to establish the rights and responsibilities of the contracting parties at all times.